6 months. Gulp. That’s right, today marks the start of my third and final mission trimester. I feel like time is playing some cruel trick on me! Do I really have to start eating healthy and working out harder for my ‘Six Months to Sexy’?! I started it off by getting a haircut. A real haircut in a real German salon. (I had always heard stories that they were awful at cutting hair, but honestly I love my new cut!) I refuse to believe that I only have half a year left in the most magical place on Earth. Sorry Disneyland, Germany wins. I have experienced the most wonderful changes in the past year, and I can’t wait to see even more in the coming 6. I thought I would mix it up this week and give you 6 scriptures that changed my mission. Los gehts! (by the way, this is going to be a long email, so if you are a missionary friend of mine I suggest just printing this off and reading it later.)
1. Doctrine and Covenants 123:17 Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed. I have found that missionary work is one of the most enjoyable things to do! Some people would compare it to going to a dentists office, but I also like going to the dentist office…. I think it all comes down to attitude! When you count your blessings and really want to make the best of any situation, than you will do things with a smile. And life will be a blast. I try to show others that missionary work can be fun, so don’t feel guilty about enjoying it!
2. Doctrine and Covenants 123:12 For there are many yet on the earth among all sects, parties, and denominations, who are blinded by the subtle craftiness of men, whereby they lie in wait to deceive, and who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it— This is also in the same chapter, it’s just such an amazing chapter! I love the last part ‘they know not where to find it.’ I just know Berlin is crawling with people who want this gospel knowledge, but they are so lost! Maybe they don’t even realize they are looking for it, but they are. This scripture is so encouraging to me. It makes me want to talk with every single person on the street because they might be one of the MANY who are looking for the wonderful message I have to share.
3. Moses 6:31 And when Enoch(Sister Helzer) had heard these words, he bowed himself to the earth, before the Lord, and spake before the Lord, saying: Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad, and all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant? 32 And the Lord said unto Enoch: Go forth and do as I have commanded thee, and no man shall pierce thee. Open thy mouth, and it shall be filled, and I will give thee utterance, for all flesh is in my hands, and I will do as seemeth me good. 33 Say unto this people: Choose ye this day, to serve the Lord God who made you.34 Behold my Spirit is upon you, wherefore all thy words will I justify; and the mountains shall flee before you, and the rivers shall turn from their course; and thou shalt abide in me, and I in you; therefore walk with me. Enoch had weaknesses. I have weaknesses. God strengthened Enoch, filled him with words, and worked miracles through him. God will fill me with German words, strengthen me, and allow me to see miracles according to my faith. It is 110% okay to have weaknesses. Don’t forget that my dear missionary.
4. Proverbs 29:18 Where there is no vision, the people perish but he that keepeth the law happy is he. I read 2 principles in this scripture, the first being that we need goals, for without them we will die. Or just not accomplish anything of importance. The 2nd thing I learned is that obedience brings happiness. There is a white handbook filled with mission rules and some might find them restraining, annoying, or unnecessary. There will always be moments in your life where you need to choose whether to be obedient or not. I promise you, obedience brings happiness!
5. Alma 37:7 And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls. Small and simple means. Hmm, that sounds like you and me! We can make a difference even if we feel so small and insignificant. How comforting is that!
6. 3 Nephi 5: 12 And behold, I am called Mormon being called after the bland of Mormon, the land in which Alma did establish the church among the people, yea, the first church which was established among them after their transgression. 13 Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life. Last, but certainly not least, let us not forget how wonderful and great our call is. This straight to the point scripture reminds me why I am here. Why I am sacrificing my time to be here. And why I go out every day talking to strangers in Berlin. It reminds me that I am doing this so that others can have everlasting life! I can not imagine a more beautiful gift than that.
I love being here. I plan to treasure these next 6 months, one simple day at a time. Any advice for the last trimester?
P.S. Okay, I couldn’t go a blog post without sharing a funny story. I’m not sure why, but this week we have caught 3 different people taking pictures of us on the train. And they were not even sneaky about it! 2 of them used their flash and the phone even made a noise. I think I need to come here and teach people about how to sneakily take pictures of others. I mean isn’t the first thing you do when you get a phone is turn off the flash and camera noise?! Hahah.
posted by Splendidly Sar